Friday, April 13, 2012

Well perhaps I should describe  chemo so you will know that it really is relaxing. I now know most of the chemo nurses...who are really angels in disguise. They always seem to be happy, joke around with Tom because he asks so many questions...and sometimes tell him he has a quota..and then they can't answer any more..but of course they then tell him they are kidding.  They always ask how I am doing how I am feeling etc...They bring me to my little cubicle ...I get to sit in a recliner looking out at the sky and the pine trees.Tom has a comfortable chair to sit in.  Then the nurse brings me a warmed blanket and a heating pad to wrap around my left hand where they put the infusion in. Then they bring me a benedryl and an atavan which would take the edge off of anything or anyone! They are very good at needles and rarely miss..and if they do they feel terrible. I get three bottles emptied into my arm, and really none of it hurts...sometimes I doze in the chair.I get to read my Kindle..and after three hours Tom puts my shoes back on and drives me home!. It takes him just about three hours to get thru all of Craigs list..so that works out well for him.
My only problem after all of this is the spike in blood sugar..last night it got to 317...and so I was riding my bike and lifting weights  at midnight..because I thought that the doctor told me if my blood sugar  got above 250 I had to go to the emergency room...However this morning Tom told me I didn't have to go until it reached 350! I told Tom to sleep in the guest room because I would probably be up exercising all night!.
Tomorrow is Toms birthday...so he will finally be as old as me...thank heavens...!.

3 comments:

  1. Only you could make a session of chemo sound actually pleasant. I think your whole mental outlook is what has made such a difference! And quite honestly, I think Tom is another angel in disguise! Hope his birthday is extra special. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring on the Atavan!..is pretty much what I would opt for; I don't have nearly the courage you have. Also, you are to be commended for your determination to keep that blood sugar down. Hope Tom has a nice birthday and will eventually find what he is looking for on Craig's List! Ha Ha, I used to be a Craig's List addict, too. Have a good week-end. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if what you have to eat on the day of chemo affects the blood sugar at all-- (could Tom ask the nurses?:) Since we all have low blood sugar or diabetes, we know that protein can level out the blood sugar so maybe a power bar or something like that before would
    make a difference? Anyway, not too many more to go so we are all counting down with you. We'll talk later to say happy birthday to Tom-- hope he gets a big tax refund for a gift. love you both, and hope last night's dinner was special with David and Maureen. xoxo

    ReplyDelete