Monday, March 4, 2013

surgery day

good news:  surgery prep started at 6:30am and actual surgery finished around 10am. the patient is doing relatively well. lots of pain of course, and the drugs are sort of working.  the surgeon found evidence of a low grade bio infection around the skin expander [expander now removed] which could explain the exterior red skin rash.  quite unusual for the rash/infection to remain static for so many months [about 5].  lab analysis of fluid will take several days.  as our other surgeon said, "... that redness just fu..K.ng shouldn't be there". so for the first time in five months and numerous opinions and tests, we now have reason to believe there was a good cause for the rash to "be there"..  one day at a time..

more soon.  tom

4 comments:

  1. Hoping all of this will be behind you soon. Envisioning only positive test results for the red patch. Maybe it was just an alergy to the material the expander was made from.
    Thinking of you. Love, MJ &Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane; sorry I haven't sent any messages in awhile..my granddaughter Allie was very sick and I was being "Super Grandma" during this time. She is better now. I just got caught up with all your blogs and I am amazed at everything that has happened. Please take care and rest. Thank you, Tom, for the update on the surgery. I should be in San Diego by June, so will be looking forward to seeing you then. Please keep posting info. on your blog, though. Love, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Diane and Tom! I hope you've had a restful day today. I'm not sure what you had scheduled, if anything. I know it has been a crazy couple of weeks for you. Nothing like medical tests to ruin your post-vacation mood. I am praying that all your issues has a simple explanation and you can go about your life with no new issues. We love you both very, very much! Love Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love you guys... Keep us posted..
    Love,
    Gretchen, Chris, Cooper and Ian

    ReplyDelete